Wednesday, January 26, 2011

One Week At Home!

Wow! What a week it has been....so much! We are so happy to have the girls home, but have been working very hard. We have done our best to continue the feeding schedule that the NICU set for them. They are eating about every 3-4 hours. It is not easy because Abby is starting to eat more so that could seriously effect how long she sleeps versus Ella, but that's okay. I wish I could feed them at the same time (you have no idea how badly) but with preemies, feeding involves both hands. Maybe as they get older!
Mostly, they sleep, get held a little while and go back to sleep. I alternate between choosing a nap, doing laundry or cleaning bottles. And trying to take pictures here and there. I have had great help from my hubs, who went back to work this week, and my maw-in-law who has been coming over in the daytime to give me some nap time. However there has been some activity as well. They took their first steps into the world of modeling this week. The fabulous Ginnie of Ginnie J Photography came over to the house and took some pics. They are going to be TO DIE FOR. I can't wait to show them to you.
Friday night, they had their first baths at home. Daddy had the honor of bathing duty with me taking pictures and being Chief Bath Time Assistant. He is so clever, he rigged up the "bath cam" on top of the fridge so we were able to video tape all the action as well. They receive what is called a "swaddle bath" where they are wrapped up in a blanket and then put in the water. It helps keep them warm and feel secure. Both girls really seemed to love the experience, no crying, no screaming. It was fun for us all!

The girls got another check up today. Abby passed with flying colors! She now weighs a whopping 5 lbs 6 oz...that means she has gained just shy of a full pound since being home. She is absolutely thriving. Her lungs are in great working order as well as her tummy timer. Neither girl can fit in her preemie clothes anymore. And the newborn stuff is a little big so they are in an in-between stage, one I suspect they will be out of soon. Abby is a charmer, no doubt about it. She is very alert after her bottle and just looks around and takes it all in. She has long graceful little fingers, piano player fingers, maybe harp? She gets very restless if she doesn't get the full swaddle or what I call the Aunt Shelly treatment. (I learned all about the swaddle from my sister in law Shelly who clearly missed her calling as a burrito wrapper). Example: One night Abby was squawkin' and squealin' and once in a while letting out a blood curdling little girl scream. Mom, fed up after an hour of this, stumbled out of bed and said "Okay, missy. You are getting the full Aunt Shelly treatment". Worked like a charm and has ever since.

Ella's check up went well too. She is weighing in at 5 lbs 2 oz. Big sister has overtaken her! The doctor would like to have seen Ella gain more weight, so we will have to really chub her up this week. This wins her a trip back to the doctor next Wednesday for another weight check. She has been a little congested, and we have had to turn the "booger sucker" loose on her a few times (My pediatrician had never heard it called that and laughed his head off when I referred to it as such). Only strengthens my resolve, as difficult as it is, that she stay in the house away from a lot of people right now. We truly are in the height of RSV season. While it's a bummer, it's what's best. I will try to be better about posting pics. She is absolutely darling. Much more patient than her sister, and seems to like the binkie a bit more. She loves to sleep with her precious little hands thrown up in the air.

For being such a great big brother, Connor received a camera as a gift from his sisters (shout out to Aunt Steph for the great idea!). Hopefully, he will feel like he is part of the action and can take pictures of the babies or whatever he wants. Before you say it, and I KNOW you're thinking it, we know it might be slight lunacy to turn a 4 year old loose with an actual camera. All I can say is, he has been admonished that whipping open a door at any given time, particularly the one to the bathroom, shouting "Surprise" and clicking away, would NOT be considered, well, cool. Fingers crossed that he does not become an annoying paparazo and start documenting EVERY moment of our lives, as I have been accused of documenting every moment of his.

Having babies at home, means we are pretty much housebound. This has forced one little cow poke to use his imagination with a step ladder for a horse (whose name is Thunder). Unfortunately, it kinda means Mom and Dad have been cooped up for too long as well and Dad has taken up the rodeo.

Needless to say, we are all a little crazy, but completely blissed out!!!

Pictures: First two are Abba-Girl in the tub, then Bathing Beauty Ella. Abby (not in burrito wrap) and little Ella Bella (including a flowered bum for Aunt Steph). Big Brother Connor, the family photographer. Connor and his trusty steed. Dad's a little stir crazy too!










2 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you guys. I miss seeing you two and the girls....but would much rather have you where you are. Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete