I took a few days for the holidays from blogging...much has been going on!
There are pictures to share, but it has been a long long day and I will try to post them tomorrow.
First and foremost, Santa Claus came to the NICU! The timing was absolutely perfect, because we both happened to be there and Ella was already out and we were in the process of taking Abby out, so we got some great pictures with the jolly fat guy. It was a very difficult day, it is no fun having your babies in the hospital on Christmas. But we were given some adorable gifts by the parent support team, and having the opportunity to see Santa really helped make the day more bearable.
I will absolutely post pictures too, of the amazing toy box we were given by Chad and Angela. They designed and made it themselves. It is a gorgeous walnut with drawers at the bottom. There is even a part that stands up and there are three 8 x 10 frames for a picture of each child. It was really moving and just beautiful. Thank you Chad and LaLa!!!
Sunday when we went in for our visit, the Nurse Practitioner came in and spoke with us for a bit. We were told that an echocardiogram would be performed on Abby on Monday to rule out the possibility of a PDA. I am not sure what it stands for, but basically there are ducts in the heart that are open in utero, and then close when we are born. Since Abby started not needing oxygen and then all of a sudden developed a need for it they were concerned that the ducts had stayed open. They would try to treat it with meds and if that didn't work, surgery. This of course was pretty unnerving, but the NP said her numbers have been so good, he doubted it was the case. Still.....
This morning I went in for my a.m. visit and again got to sit in on rounds. Then went in to see the girls. The tech came in to do the echo right then, so I got to be with Abby when it was done. Good thing too...she was so wiggly, I had to hold her binky in her mouth with one hand and hold her squirmy little hands with the other. She kept trying to grab the wand! It lasted about an hour.
I read stories to the girls and went home. Got the call this afternoon that Abby's echo came back totally normal! Hurray! Great news. The plan now will be to keep her on the oxygen for a few days, then try again to ween her off. She is still on a quarter liter of just flow of 21 percent. About as low as it can be. She keeps trying to yank out the canula, so I feel confident that she will be off it any day now.
Called to get her stats tonight...that baby is one tough cookie! Sunday they took measurements. She stayed the same length wise (16 inches) but her head is a centimeter larger. She had a HUGE weight gain, 75 grams. That means that Abby is now 3 lbs 5 oz!!! She has officially overtaken her sister.
Speaking of Ella, she also stayed the same (16 1/4 inches) and increased her head size by a centimeter. I am sorry to report that she had a weight loss and is now 3 lbs 3 oz, her birth weight again. We have a sneaking suspicion as to why...When our favorite night nurse, Lexie came on this evening, Ella started screaming. She apparently had a poop blow-out! It was described as though a chocolate bar exploded in her isolette! (sorry for the TMI). She got a sink bath out of the deal and all new bedding. The only thing she could save was a tiny blanket I had been sleeping with for the past few nights - I was told to do this and to get my "scent" on it so that they would have something with them that smelled like Mommy. I am grateful for that!
It is hard to keep up with all the wonderful phone calls and texts. I am doing my best, but every day is a bit of a roller coaster. Please continue to be patient, everyone has been great and we so appreciate the support and prayers. I am now going to bed!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment