Monday, December 20, 2010

Making Progress

Today I brought two ornaments for the NICU tree. I also brought each of the girls a little tiny stuffed puppy that wishes you a Merry Christmas and gives out two adorable barks when you squeeze their tummies.

Abby was battling a little jaundice again yesterday. This morning she was completely off the lights and her bilirubin was down to 4! Way to go Princess! She had a 10 gram gain and is up to 2 lbs 13 oz.

Ella is on a half liter of oxygen. She is doing great!! She also had a 10 gram gain, but I need to check and see where that puts her. She is definitely the more snuggly of the two. At Kangaroo time, she just burrows in and gets all kinds of comfy.

The girls are both going up in calories! This is very exciting because we should see some good weight gain with this new development.

But the biggest news is that they both had their head cat scans today. They do this to look for broken blood vessels in their heads. Those would be indicative of any developmental problems in their brains. BOTH GIRLS PASSED WITH FLYING COLORS!!!!

We are so grateful...today the girls had a couple of temporary room mates, both of whom were fighting for survival. It was heartbreaking to hear what was going on (they pull all the curtains shut) and we were asked to leave after only a few minutes during our afternoon visit. It made me cry with sadness for those babies (they will not give out any information re: the outcomes) and their parents, and made me weep with gratitude that our angels are doing so well. There is one thing that I am learning quickly....the NICU is a place of sorrow and joy. I am so thankful we have so much to be joyful about.

No comments:

Post a Comment