Wednesday, December 29, 2010

She Did It Too!

Today when we went to visit the girls, we were pleasantly surprised to learn that Abby was ready to start working on the bottle too, despite being on oxygen. (I was told that her being on oxygen this long is typical for a preemie - the NP told me to expect her to come home with it, and that Ella being off it this long successfully is actually atypical, so that put a lot of my fears to rest) So I worked with Abby and she did really good! She ate as much as her sister did yesterday, 6 ccs and then passed out. She got the rest in her tummy so she was all good. We sat and cuddled for a long time after that while Lonny tried his had with Ella. Unfortunately, Ella was too sleepy! The nurse didn't have us do her oral care or brush her hair, which is too bad...this usually wakes her right up! (We lift the babies up to brush the back of their hair and they were worried that plus just getting her out of the isolette would be too tiring for her). She took the binky for a while, but she was soooo sleepy! If I may brag a little here, and I think I may, dang it - I started talking to Ella from across the room to try and rouse her a bit. As SOON as she heard my voice, her eyes flew open and she was looking around trying to see me. I kept right on talking and she tried her darndest to come awake but she was just too tired. But the developmental tech (a different one from yesterday) was just amazed at Ella's response and said that was the biggest vocal recognition she had ever seen. Hmmm, do I get the feeling Ella is going to be a Mama's Girl? That's just fine with me! Abby slept on my chest the whole time and we sang together. We have ditched Christmas songs and we are now working our way through Fleetwood Mac with a concentration on songs by Stevie Nicks.

I had my check up with the doctor today. Sounds like everything is okay, he was very impressed by my incision (everybody is - Dr. Clark apparently does good work!) and we are going to continue the blood pressure meds. One super unpleasant thing is that I had developed plantar's fasciitis during my last few weeks of pregnancy (for those of you who don't know what that is, it is a very painful condition in my feet involving the ligaments - it feels like you are walking on needles) and it has continued even though I have lost my pregnancy weight. He has never heard of it continuing post partum, and said I need to see a podiatrist asap. Complete bummer! Please pray for me if you could remember - it could effect a lot of things in my life that I love (besides being able to walk pain free) like playing tennis.

As of tonight, we had great progress! Abby gained 20 grams since yesterday and now weighs in at 3 lbs 6 oz! Ella hit 1600 grams which puts her at 3 lbs 8 oz! This is exceptional (have I told you how exceptional my daughters are lately?) in that when they put preemies on air temperature in their isolettes, as they have my girls and they burn so many calories learning how to eat off the bottle they usually lose weight. The girls continue to amaze and inspire!

Lexie put them in matching outfits....their first clothes. Pictures to come! Again, I am sorry but I am pooped. We have been working on the nursery tonight after it took us, no lie, 2 hours to get home from the hospital today due to the snow storm. YIKE! It was crazy out there. I am glad to know my girls were safe and warm. Baby shower tomorrow night with family! Exciting stuff.....

2 comments:

  1. Your girls are doing sooooo great! I can't beleive it! Really they are truly little miracles. Keep up the good work momma! You are in my prayers.

    (You might want to fix the above wt. for Ella, it says she is 6 lbs 8 oz and I almost fell off my chair thinking she had suddenly gotten that big! I am assuming it has to be a typo right?)

    Lots of love! Deidra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Total typo! I WISH!!! But soon enough,,thanks for pointing that out....Lots of love right back, I tried to comment on your blog today but had tech difficulties. I am right there with you and can't wait til you can bring your baby home from China!!

    ReplyDelete